Rosslyn Chapel is a late medieval building which has been described as a “treasure in stone.” A ‘Category A’ listed building and ‘Scheduled Ancient Monument’, the Chapel is located in the village of Roslin, near Edinburgh. Still used as a place of worship as well as being an international tourist destination, the Chapel attracts over 150,000 visitors a year.
Since 2008, the Centre for Digital Documentation and Visualisation LLP (a partnership between Historic Environment Scotland and The Glasgow School of Art) has worked with Rosslyn Chapel Trust to digitally document the interior and exterior of Rosslyn Chapel and its grounds, using cutting-edge laser scanning technologies and 360° panoramic photography. The 3D laser scan data was developed into a photorealistic virtual 3D model of the Chapel.
The project was carried out for:
Discover Rosslyn Chapel with this interactive app:
• Enjoy interactive animations
• Watch an animation on the building of the Chapel
• Learn about the site in the photographic slideshow
• Explore the Chapel in an interactive 360° panorama tour
• Explore the Chapel’s exterior and interior using an interactive 3D model
• Find out how to visit Rosslyn Chapel
Any profits from sales of the app will contribute to the conservation of Rosslyn Chapel and to further research into digital accessibility.